The Sitter Cafe Blog

A Conversation About Child Care
and the common challenges faced by parents


Saturday, September 15, 2007

Stress-Relief for the Nanny-Set
By Michael Gerard

A new 20 page 'board stock' book introduces the idea of a nanny to young children.

Hilary Lockhart’s "My Nanny and I" helps transition young children into their new child care setting. In fewer than 200 words the author describes a day with the nanny that is filled with activities, fun and learning. Going to the park, playing dress-up and making arts & crafts are all part of this wonderful book. Fear of being left with a 'stranger' is quickly forgotten as children are introduced to their new care provider.

My nanny is coming
We're going to have fun
We'll play in if it rains
Or play out if there's sun

She will teach me to count
Play puzzles and blocks
To help me get dressed
And put on my socks

Featuring 3 different nannies and full of life illustrations by Edison Gonclaves, this high-quality 'lift-the-flap' book features a photo frame where you can personalize your copy by inserting a picture of nanny and child.

Most importantly, children come to understand that at the end of the day a parent will return home.

My Nanny and I will help ease the transition of bringing a nanny into the family, break the ice for the child and their new caregiver and help create a loving bond between nanny and child.

This book is so cute, so adorable and so absolutely necessary.

With text and beautifully effective illustrations describing everyday activities, My Nanny and I teaches very young children in a reassuring way that the nanny will be there while parents are away, and that mom or dad will be home at the end of the day. The book, entirely self published and printed by the author with resources from around the globe, is of excellent quality -- notwithstanding some punctuation choices that bear the mark of rushed editing.

It’s a simple idea that as adults we take for granted.

No less frightening than being left at school, the idea of being left at home with a stranger can be terrifying for a child. My Nanny and I helps teach toddlers what to expect while in the care of a nanny.

The deceptively simple, rhyming text and first rate illustrations make this a great story-book. When introduced as part of your child’s 'read-aloud' bedtime repertoire it will help prepare him or her for life with nanny.

Think of My Nanny and I as "Stress-Relief for the Nanny-Set".

US $7.99     www.MyNannyAndI.com
Board-Stock: 20 pages
Illustrated by Edison Goncalves
Publisher: Children First Publishing (September 7, 2007), Mesa, AZ
ISBN: 0755475526
www.MyNannyAndI.com

No comments: